Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The day our lives changed forever

It was Friday May 13th. It started out as any normal day. Alarm goes off at 6:40am and then I snooze it again and wake up at 6:50am to get ready for work. Was really excited that it was Friday. I was ready for the weekend. So everything wend smoothly through out the work day. Felt a little weird during playground time so went in the class room to rest. Felt fine after resting for a few minutes and finshed up my day at work. Went home and go ready for a special event for my old choir teacher, Mrs Tellef, who was retiring after over 20 years of teaching. They were having a reception in her honor that night. I was looking forward to seeing old class mates and singing for Mrs Tellef.
When my mom and I got to the reception I noticed some pressure in my lower abdomen but didn't think anything of it. Everyone said that I was looking great being almost 37 week along in my pregnancy. I thought so to and was feeling pretty good too! They had this cute program set up for Mrs. Tellef and in between clip of video and talking the alumni would get up and sing songs from the past. it was so fun to walk down memory lane. At the end of the program we were all once again asked to get up and sing one more song...God be with you till we meet again. One of Tellefs favorite songs. Afterward we were asked to remained standing while they presented some other things to Mrs. Tellef. As I am standing there I slip off my flips cause my ankles and feet were pretty swollen. Not Even 10 SECONDS later I feel a little burst of water in between my legs and onto the floor. I look down, up and then over to my best friend from 6th grade and whisper "Michelle...I think my water just broke..." She was in much shock as I was and wasn't sure what to do. I then leaned over to her and said "if you could clean this up...I'm going to go..." As soon as that was done I darted over to my mom...quietly coming up to her I said "MOM WE NEED TO GO NOW, MY WATER JUST BROKE !" For being 36 weeks along I was moving pretty fast...I get outside and call soon to be daddy Chad and let him know what is going on. His first comment to me is " Why are you calling me? Call you Doctor..." It made me laugh but I thought her would want to know he is about to be a father. So I hang up with him and call the hospital. They told me to go home and change and head down to the hospital.
I get home and Chad had everything ready for us to go. I grabbed a few other things and out the door we went. I couldn't believe we were going to be parents soon. We get into triage and they have me changed into a gown...as soon as I sit down my water breaks even more...I ended up soaking the bed and my gown, it was pretty yucky...they have me change once again and then they hook the cords on my. Although I was only dilated to a 1 I was already having back contractions and my labor and delivery nurse Amanda Jo came in and said we were going to move into the delivery room. Oh Boy here we go I thought.
They once again set me up to the monitors and my contractions were about 5 minutes apart. They did not feel good at all and they only got worse and closer together. My anesthesiologist (who does epidurals) came in to let me know what was going to happen when that time came. His name was CJ and he was super nice and made me feel more at ease about the whole thing...After he left Amanda Jo came in and checked to see how far dilated I was cause I was really uncomfortable. I was only at a 2 and I couldn't get my epidural until I was at a 3 so they gave me some other awesome drug that made me go completely limp and out for the count with in 2 minutes. It really helped for about an hour 1/2 then I woke up with contractions again. She checked me once more and I was finally at a 4!!!
I was So excited so I wouldn't have to deal with the pain anymore. I only felt a few light contractions after it was done and then it was like heaven! After they had another nurse come in a put a catheter in since my leg weren't movable to go to the bathroom. That was fun haha. They then put me on my side and put this ball in between my legs called a peanut ball to help keep things open down there and so forth. I fell asleep again for about 2 hours.
I then woke up to some pressure by my catheter. Amanda Jo checked me out and I had a little bloody show going and I was dilated to a 9!! Crazy-ness huh? At this point my sister was her with chad and I and my mo was on her was and so was my mother in law. My nurse turns to us 3 and says "let try and push a few times to get things going before Dr Mikel gets here." My sister was in shock we were going to push without a Dr present in the room but my nurse knew what she was doing. So We get my legs propped up and we pushed with each contraction/ pressure I felt. We only did 3 pushed and chad and Sheena could already see the top of her head.
We then waited for Dr Mikel to come in to finish out the delivery. When we first started to push Dr Mikel said he was going to have to make a small cute because I was so small. I was fine with it so we went on pushing. Next thing I know I am pushing, push after push getting closer and closer... then my contractions stopped...so she sat in the canal for a minute or two but then started up again. So after 12 or so pushes our bundle of joy Rylee entered the world! 5 lbs 13 oz, 18.9 inches long.
When they put her in my arms I couldn't believe what I was seeing. That was our baby girl. She had become apart of out eternal family. I couldn't be more happy to call her my own. I love her sooo much!
As I am getting sewed up I watch as they clean my baby up. Sheena and Chad are over taking a look at her and getting video and pictures. When they are done cleaning her up they put her in the little crib next to me... They noticed after a while that her breathing wasn't very good and the rushed her into the special care nursery. I wasn't to worried at first cause they didn't really explain what was going on.
They get me all cleaned up and ready to move me to the postpartum room for recovery and on the way over to room 1128 they played a little lullaby informing the hospital a baby was born. After we get settled in our room they inform us that Rylee isn't breathing very well on her own and that she had got some amniotic fluid in her lungs. So they had to put a c-pap on her to help push oxygen into her little lungs. My poor little Rylee. I didn't know what to think. This was not what I was expecting. But things happen for reasons. Walking in the Special Care nursery for the first time seeing her with all those cords and tubs around her was so difficult for Chad and I.
We weren't going to be getting discharged until Monday so we had the rest of the weekend to spend with Rylee. It wasn't easy going in and seeing her every day like that but we bother knew it was the best place for her to be.
The day we got discharged they told us that because she was getting a little yellow they would have to put some special lights on her for jaundice. So on top of having the c-pap on her they added lights and a black mask to protect her eyes. It made me really sad. She hasn't had a break or a breather since she was born.
We didn't leave the hospital till late Monday night cause depending on some results they got back would depend on if she was going to have to be transferred over to Dessert Banner Hospital for extra support and care. When 8 pm came around they told us that she would be staying put and that the medicine was work well enough to keep her here. Chad and I were so relieved. to hear the news. We then said our good byes for the night and headed home. It was not a easy good bye but we had to keep saying to ourselves that she is getting what she needs there and she is only going to get stronger.
Sleeping was a joke for the both of us and we shed some tears as well. Since we've been home we go and see her every day an check up on her. She continues to improve everyday and that is all Chad and I ask for. She is such a fighter. We love her so much and can't wait to take her home with us.
The nurse today (5/18) said that if they can keep her oxygen level below 30 for the rest of the day they should be able to take off the c-pap tonight or tomorrow! I sure hope she can manage it and go with it.

We will keep you updated when we hear more!

Love mommy and daddy carton

1 comment:

  1. You two are so unbelievably strong I am so happy for you both! Congrats and keep your head up she will be home and in your arms before you know it :)

    ReplyDelete